The Trucking Watchdog blog is provided by Coluccio Law, in the interest of advancing public knowledge and awareness of truck safety and trucking law.
For nearly 30 years, attorney Kevin Coluccio has been helping people who were injured in serious truck crashes.
In trucking cases, time matters.
Getting in an accident is very scary. Too often, injured people wait months to get legal help. But trucking companies are prepared to defend a crash: there are a number of parties working immediately on the other side.
- Insurance: Insurance carriers for truck drivers and trucking companies have a lot of money at stake, and defend truck accident cases very aggressively.
- Attorneys: Most trucking companies have a lawyer involved immediately after the crash is reported.
- Investigation: Trucking companies have accident response teams on-call. An investigator, a company safety person, and a risk management team usually come to the scene of the crash. The information they gather is used to support the trucking company’s insurance adjuster and attorney.
After a semi truck crash, it is crucial to get help right away.
An attorney can help you navigate the insurance maze, conduct a through investigation of the crash—and preserve valuable evidence. Get more information on what to do after a truck crash, or a free case evaluation.
Understanding Trucking Law
In a truck accident, cause and fault are more complicated than a car accident.
There are a lot more players in a commercial truck operation. The truck driver, the carrier, the tractor-trailer owner, the loading company: any of them might have caused—or contributed—to the truck accident.
An experienced trucking attorney has to know both federal and state laws, in addition to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR), including:
- Licensing requirements for truck drivers;
- Required documentation;
- Limits on consecutive work hours by hours;
- Training requirements;
- Weight, size and route limitations; and
- Trucking insurance minimums.
Attorney Kevin Coluccio Awards and Recognition
- Washington Super Lawyers, Top 100 since 2007
- Top 100 Litigation Lawyer, Washington – American Society of Legal Advocates, 2015
- Best Lawyers in America – Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiffs 2010 – 2015
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated: Martindale-Hubbell*
- Top 100 Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers Association, 2015
- Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College, Warrior, 2010
- Highest rating by Avvo – See Avvo Client Reviews for Kevin Coluccio
For Lawyers: Referring a Trucking Case to Coluccio Law
Kevin Coluccio values his relationships in the legal community of the Pacific Northwest. He is an active leader in the trial lawyer community, and committed to helping advance the trial bar.
He has worked with attorneys in Washington, Oregon and across the U.S. in his nearly thirty-year career.
Photos of Kevin Coluccio by Meryl Schenker Photography
* AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.